About us

The Swedish Council for Higher Education is a public authority working in the education sector. One of our tasks is to provide organisations and individuals in Sweden with international exchange and partnership opportunities.

This website has gathered information about these international programme and exchange opportunities.

International exchanges for the entire education sector

The authority is responsible for a number of different programmes that give stakeholders in the entire Swedish education sector – from pre-school and compulsory school, to higher education, vocational education and training and adult education – the opportunity to apply for project funding for international partnership and exchange projects. The aim is that these international activities will contribute to the quality of education in Sweden.

Our programmes are funded by the European Commission, the Nordic Council of Ministers, Sida and the Swedish state.

Available programmes

The programmes offer various forms of partnership projects between educational organisations (such as schools, higher education institutions and vocational training centres) in Sweden and abroad. Organisations can also apply for financial support to give staff and students the opportunity to participate in education, placements and skills development outside of Sweden.

Programme participants

In general, it is organisations – for example, a school, a higher education institution or vocational training centre – that may apply for funds from the Swedish Council for Higher Education. It is then the organisation that sends staff and students on exchanges to other countries. We primarily work with organisations in Sweden.

Are you an organisation wishing to work with a Swedish school or higher education institution?

Organisations in various low and middle-income countries can participate in a number of our programmes. Please note that it is the Swedish organisation that submits an application to the Swedish Council for Higher Education and not the individual.

In order for an organisation in one of these countries to participate in a partnership project, it must find and initiate a partnership with a Swedish educational organisation. The list of low and middle-income countries is based on The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)'s DAC-list and can be at the following link: 

Participation in Erasmus+

If you're interested in exchanges and partnerships within the Erasmus+ EU programme, which focuses on European countries, you should contact the national office in the country in which your organisation works. Contact information for the EU national offices of those countries participating in Erasmus+ are found here:

Erasmus+ also offer some cooperation and exchange opportunities for institutions and individuals in countries outside of Europe. See the European Commission's Erasmus+ programme website for more information.

Where can I find more information?

If you're from another country and would like to find out more about studying or working in Sweden, please visit the corresponding page on this website with links to further information.

If you'd like to know more about the agency's other tasks, you can read more about them on the Swedish Council for Higher Education´s website.

Swedish Council for Higher Education's website,